Daal (Indian Red Lentils)
I got this recipe from a friend and former co-worker. It's a tasty, inexpensive, protein-rich meal that you eat like a dip. There are a lot of ways to jazz this up, like adding a can of diced tomatoes about 10 minutes before the end of cook time.
- Red lentils (other types of lentil are OK, but these are the best)
- Enough turmeric to turn the lentils bright yellow
- Curry, cumin, and other spices, to taste
- Optional: Chauk (see below)
- Cumin seeds
- Mustard seeds
- Fenugreek seeds
- Ground ginger
- Boil lentils with salt and spices for about an hour or until mushy.
- When daal is nearly ready, add diced tomatoes or chauk, if desired.
- Serve with naan and/or cucumber slices to dip into your daal.
- Fry cumin, mustard, fenugreek seeds for a few seconds in hot oil on medium-low heat.
- Add ginger, garlic, and onion. Fry for an additional 10 minutes.
- After onion turns golden-brown, add any desired ground spices like turmeric, coriander, or chili powder. Pour over daal.