My mother and I are both of the opinion that you really, really don't need to add that much sugar to a sweet potato casserole. They're sweet potatoes, after all.
Mom's Sweet Potato Casserole
This recipe is a bit less Death By Sugar than your average marshmallow-covered concoction, while still being sweet enough to keep kids coming back for more. You may need to make a second batch.
Prep Time: Less than 10 minutes. Cook Time: 45 minutes.
- 3 sweet potatoes, boiled until soft
- 2 large eggs (US large)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (Yes, I said tablespoons. This is not a typo.)
- 1/2 lb. melted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup crushed nuts
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 lb. softened butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat potatoes, eggs, vanilla, sugar, butter until blended.
- Pour the mix into a casserole dish.
- Mix together topping ingredients nd spread over potato mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Can be served hot or cold.